- Word History, Word Explorer, Word Parts
|part of speech:
||ignored, ignores, ignoring
||to refuse to recognize or fail to take notice of; pay no attention to; disregard.
Some man whistled at her, but she ignored him and kept walking.The company's top management ignored a truth that was obvious to everyone else.
- discount, disregard, forget, neglect, overlook
- acknowledge, address, adhere, attend, consider, obey, recognize, watch
- similar words:
- avoid, bury, disobey, eschew, evade, forgo, pass up, shun, snub
||amnesty, boycott, breach, contravene, excuse, forgive, jump, miss, pass, reject, scant, scorn, slight, waive
comes from a Latin word that means "to not know."
The word ignore
contains the following parts:
that means not, without
cogn, cognit, gnor
that means know, knowledge
- gnos, gnosis, gnom, -gnomy