- make a spectacle of oneself
- Word Combinations (noun), Word History, Word Parts
|part of speech:
||a visible, usu. impressive thing or action, esp. a public performance or display.
- extravaganza, marvel, pageant, splash
- similar words:
- apparition, pageantry, sight
||something that is, has been, or can be seen.
After the rain, a very different spectacle awaited us.
||(pl.) eyeglasses, or something resembling them in appearance or use.
- eyeglasses, glasses, specs
||cavalcade, drama, feast, marvel, outlook, pageant, parade, phenomenon, pomp, view, wonder
||make a spectacle of oneself
comes from spectare
, a Latin word that means "to view or watch."