Monthly Archives: September 2013
occurring at irregular intervals; in fits or bursts.
example: She went to bed worried and had a night of fitful sleep.
In flu @ns
definition 1: the power or intangible action of one thing or person which brings about an effect on another.
example: Her friends had a lot of influence on her decision to go into acting.
example: We can see the influence of Picasso in this artist’s works.
example: The ideas of Karl Marx had a strong influence on him as a youth.
example: The driver of the car was under the influence of alcohol.
definition 2: a thing or person that exerts such action.
example: She had always been a major influence in her younger sister’s life.
example: The works of the French impressionists were his early influences.
definition 1: based on truth, fact, or logic.
example: Based on this evidence, that’s a valid conclusion.
example: You’ve presented a valid argument, so I may reconsider my decision.
definition 2: legally or officially authorized.
example: This license has expired and is no longer valid.
ro maens or ro maens
1. a love affair, or a depiction of one in a novel, story, or film.
2. the spirit of adventure and love, either in life or in literature and film.
3. formerly, a fictitious tale of the deeds and adventures of knights or other heroes, or the class of literature devoted to such tales.
1. to indulge in or produce fanciful stories.
2. to think or act romantically.
(informal) to woo or pursue amorously.
(cap.) of, denoting, or pertaining to the modern languages derived from Latin, such as Italian, French, Spanish, and Portuguese.
e pə kyu ri ən
1. having a desire and taste for sensuous luxury, especially in food and drink.
Lastly, add a gill [a quarter pint] of best cider vinegar; although, if you would have a dish yet better suited to please an epicurean palate, you may add a teaspoonful of made mustard and two tablespoonfuls of rich sweet cream.
2. suited to an epicure.
example: Although the chef designs epicurean meals for his clientele, he himself is happy dining on a simple omelette.
3. (cap.) of or pertaining to Epicurus or his belief in the importance of pleasure.
one who devotedly seeks luxurious pleasure; epicure.