Monthly Archives: January 2014
traen zI sh@n
definition: change from one position, stage, or situation to another.
example: There were painful experiences during his transition from boyhood to manhood.
definition: being, existing, or occurring earlier in time or sequence; former; previous.
example: I remember meeting him on a prior occasion.
example: A prior engagement kept her from attending the party.
example: Prior experience had prepared him for this possibility.
example: The suspect was found to have prior arrests.
example: I had a lawyer look at the contract prior to my signing it.
a sə leIt
1. to swing steadily and repeatedly back and forth.
As the fan oscillates, different areas of the room get a breeze.
My windshield wipers make a squeaky noise as they oscillate.
2. to waver between different or opposed opinions, conditions, or courses of action; vacillate.
I’m still oscillating between staying at my current job and accepting that company’s offer.
3. to vary or cause variances between opposite extremes, usually as a repeated and regular fluctuation.
The stock market has a tendency to oscillate.
definition 1: to cause to be a certainty.
example: Those dark clouds ensure rain.
example: The hotel staff do whatever is necessary to ensure that guests are comfortable.
example: Plenty of fluids and rest will ensure a more speedy recovery.
definition 2: to protect or render safe.
example: She took steps to ensure her reputation against slander.
1. to plan cleverly or ingeniously; devise; invent.
example: The prisoner contrived his escape with great care. She contrived an excuse that was wholly believable.
2. to scheme or plot with treacherous intent.
example: The conspirators contrived the overthrow of the ruler.
3. to cleverly devise (a mechanism or the like), esp. by improvising.
example: A clockmaker, John Harrison, contrived the marine chronometer, a device which allowed one to calculate one’s longitude at sea.
4. to manage, esp. by overcoming obstacles.
example: They contrived a way to get across the river.
to create plans; scheme.