pronunciation: o v@r vyu
part of speech: noun
definition: a general review, summary, or survey, as of a subject or situation.
example: Before assigning the chapter in the text, the professor gave an overview of its main ideas.
Collocations: Words frequently used in combination with the noun overview
VERB + overview: provide an ~, present an ~, offer an ~, give an ~
Aerial overview (in the original, concrete sense of the word) of Pula, Croatia (wikipedia)
ADJECTIVE + overview: brief ~, concise ~, comprehensive ~, historical ~
overview + PREPOSITION: an ~ of ( e.g., an overview of the field)
Examples from academic writing
- The purpose of this article is to provide an overview of the state of drug abuse research among Hispanic adolescents.
- On the 45-minute ride, a narrator gives guests a fascinating overview of life in the Netherlands in the 19th century.
- We asked Elazar Barkan to provide an overview of the field, drawing on his many years of scholarship and experience in peacebuilding.
- A detailed description of this method of assisting struggling students is beyond the scope of this article but an overview will help to frame the school counselor’s role in the system.
- One of the biggest challenges that teachers of adolescents face is the necessity to motivate them. This article begins with an overview of motivational theories and then focuses on process theory and its application in the middle school and high school classrooms.