Tag: WVI level 5
ihn su si ənt
having no cares or anxieties; light-hearted; carefree.
example: She dismissed our accusations with an insouciant laugh and continued to dance.
1. a secret, private, or confidential meeting or gathering.
example: Some of the ship’s officers met in a conclave to discuss the competence of the captain.
2. the private meeting of the cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church for the purpose of electing the pope.
3. a meeting of associated people.
1. an offspring or heir.
example: To everyone’s astonishment, the art thief was revealed to be the scion of a wealthy banking family.
2. a budding shoot that is cut from a plant and used in grafting.
lae pih deI ri
1. one whose work is to cut, polish, or engrave gemstones, or the work itself.
2. an expert on or dealer in gemstones.
example: She consulted a lapidary about the value of her engagement ring.
quotation: “People that had lighted on a new thought or a thought that they fancied new, came to Emerson, as the finder of a glittering gem hastens to a lapidary, to ascertain its quality and value.“ (Nathaniel Hawthorne, “Mosses from an Old Manse”)
pə remp tə ri
1. not permitting refusal or disobedience.
example: A peremptory order from the captain put a stop to our idling.
2. expressive of a command; imperative.
example: a peremptory tone of voice.
3. having an arrogant or imperious quality; dictatorial.
example: He speaks in an offensive, peremptory way.
4. in law, not allowing for debate or argument.
example: a peremptory challenge.