1. to demean or humble oneself; abase oneself.
He groveled to his boss, hoping to win back his favor.
2. to be or move about in a bowed or prostrate position, as with fear or humility; cower; cringe.
The courtiers groveled before the king.
a place for depositing human corpses or their bones.
of, suitable for, or suggesting a charnel.
1. to cause to begin burning; set on fire; kindle.
He ignited the charcoal with his lighter.
2. to stir up the emotions of; excite.
The electrifying speech ignited the crowd.
3. to cause to begin or emerge suddenly.
This absurd accusation ignited her anger.
The new research findings ignited a controversy.
This book ignited in him a lifelong interest in plants.
to cause to feel embarrassed, uneasy, or ashamed.
He was abashed by his drunken behavior of the night before.
One disapproving glance from her father was enough to abash her.
f@ naens [or] faI naens
1. to provide the monetary resources for.
Tax money financed the new highway.
2. to provide monetary credit to.
Do you think the bank will finance you in this project?
1. the management of money or other assets, esp. those in the public treasury.
The treasury is that part of a government that is concerned primarily with finance.
Women were not expected to know anything of finance in those days.
2. (pl.) the monetary resources of a person or institution such as a bank or government.
The war effort devastated the country’s finances.
I’ll have to check my finances before I can make a decision to purchase.