to slip by or come to an end, as a period of time or something limited to a period of time.
Several weeks elapsed before we heard from her.
Unfortunately, the warranty elapsed before the necessary repairs could be made.
In syə lər
1. of or relating to an island or the formation of an island.
2. physically isolated; standing alone.
an insular structure.
3. closed to new ideas; narrow-minded.
Their insular attitudes kept them from seeing any value in new art forms.
4. characteristic of the inhabitants of an island.
to end or temporarily discontinue the proceedings of (a meeting or the like).
The president adjourned the meeting when it was clear that no decision could be reached.
This court is adjourned until next week.
1. to end or temporarily discontinue the proceedings of a meeting or the like.
The meeting adjourned after the final round of voting.
We decided to adjourn and meet again next week.
2. to transfer proceedings to another location.
Let’s adjourn to your office.
kaz mə pa lih tən
1. of, drawn from, or common to all the world or all the peoples of the world.
Tehran was a cosmopolitan city before the revolution toppled the Shah.
Our university is a cosmopolitan institution.
This cosmopolitan plant species grows in wetlands.
2. not encumbered by local prejudices or customs; at ease in most areas and countries.
The cosmopolitan outlook of our new classmate enlivened American History class.
one who is not bound by local prejudices and customs and is at ease in most areas and countries; cosmopolite.
that is to say.
Some people, namely the downtown merchants, are happy about the mayor’s decision.
She had made the mistake of criticizing someone who never took kindly to criticism–namely her boss.