1. (informal) a person who uses a free ticket for transportation, admission, or the like; nonpaying customer.
2. a vehicle, such as a train or truck, carrying no freight or passengers.
3. a slow-witted or dull person.
4. a fan of the rock band The Grateful Dead, and often one who follows this band as it tours.
@ jeI s@nt
definition: near or next to; adjoining.
example: We are worried about the large dead tree on the property adjacent to ours; it could fall onto our house during a storm.
example: Canada and Mexico are adjacent to the United States.
1. showing no emotion; blank and expressionless.
As a comedian, he’s known for his deadpan style.
Her usually lively face now wore a deadpan expression.
the fixed or permanent weight of a structure that exerts a uniform, constant pressure on the supports. (Cf. live load.)
The roof of your house is a dead load, while people walking around inside it are a live load.
definition 1: of the moon, to increase gradually in the size of its illuminated portion, as seen from the earth.
example: When the moon has waxed completely, we say the moon is full.
definition 2: to increase gradually in quantity, strength, volume, or the like.
example: My anger waxed with his continued harangue.
definition 3: to become or grow.
example: She waxed eloquent as she realized she’d gathered a highly attentive audience.