1. lively, spirited, or energetic.
The sprightly young girl flitted about the garden chasing butterflies.
The fiddler played a sprightly tune that had us all tapping our feet.
2. pleasingly sharp in taste; tangy; piquant.
This variety of grape produces wine with a sprightly note.
For a sprightly salsa, use this combination of seasonings.
definition: to make or consider to be equal or equivalent.
example: Classroom learning is essential, but it cannot be equated with experience on the job.
example: Her parents tend to equate wealth with success.
pri dIk sh@n
definition 1: the act of, or attempt at, foretelling.
example: Geologists are becoming increasingly accurate in the prediction of earthquakes.
example: Prediction of the weather is the job of meteorologists.
definition 2: a statement of what is foretold or predicted; prophecy.
example: The prediction that the world would come to an end on that day obviously did not come true.
example: Their predictions of the failure of the idea were, unfortunately, borne out by reality.
1. a pointed stake, post, or peg fixed into the ground, usu. used to make a fence or hold something in place.
2. a person or group of people posted in front of a business or building to protest policies, and to discourage customers or prevent workers from entering, esp. during a strike.
1. to protest against as a picket, esp. during a strike.
Workers picketed the factory, demanding higher wages.
2. to surround or enclose with a fence made of pickets.
to protest as a picket.
Employees picketed near the factory’s main entrance.
v@ raI @ ti
definition: the condition or quality of being varied.
example: The employees complained that the cafeteria food lacked variety.
example: Taking part in these activities gives her life some variety now that she’s retired.
definition 2: a number of different items in a group or category.
example: This neighborhood attracts a variety of people from artists to recent immigrants to young professionals.
example: Customers appreciate the large variety of merchandise offered by the store.
definition 3: a specific type within a category.
example: What variety of apple is this?
example: This mineral is quite common, but this specimen is a rare variety of it.