Category: Word of the Day
kwo tI di ən
1. happening every day or once a day.
Retrieving water from the well for drinking and cooking was a quotidian task for the women in the village.
2. ordinary; mundane.
Her new job, exciting at first, eventually became quotidian to her.
We were served a quotidian breakfast of toast, eggs, and coffee.
re zə nəns
1. the quality or condition of resounding or echoing.
2. the prolongation of sound vibration by reflection or reverberation.
3. the amplification of vocal sounds with the throat or the chest or nasal cavities.
4. in physics, the producing of a frequency vibration in response to an external stimulus of that frequency.
5. ability to make a strong or lasting effect, esp. because of an emotional association.
The candidate’s ideas had resonance with the voters.
aem bi ənt
1. surrounding or encompassing. The ambient temperature is low enough to affect the operation of computers.
2. of music, characterized by sound and pattern rather than distinct notes of melody or rhythmic structure.
a type of instrumental music characterized by patterns of sound rather than melodic form or rhythmic structure, and which can be explicitly listened to or serve as background or atmospheric sound.
1. a passage that brings a musical composition to a conclusion.
The entire orchestra plays during the symphony’s forceful coda.
2. any distinct, concluding element.
After the movie’s closing credits, there is a coda that explains what the main characters were doing ten years later.
The physicist’s rejection of the prestigious award was a coda to a long career of defying the establishment.
ihm pramp tu
thought of, made, or done without plan, preparation, or practice; spontaneous or improvised.
Our guest treated us to an impromptu performance at the piano.
without advance plan or preparation; spontaneously.
He lectured impromptu for an hour.
a short musical composition, esp. for the piano, that seems like an improvisation.