Category: Word of the Day
to arrange for or reserve in advance.
I will bespeak your place in line.
to signify or indicate.
Her actions bespeak good intentions.
skuh rə ləs
1. characterized by or given to using vulgar or coarse language.
These rather scurrilous remarks were edited from the tape.
He refrained from telling his scurrilous tales while the children were present.
Pirates have a reputation for being scurrilous fellows.
2. containing or marked by abuse or slander.
The candidate’s campaign literature put forward a scurrilous attack on his opponent.
This is nothing but a scurrilous rumor.
They protested the company’s scurrilous treatment of workers.
1. a person of deep learning; scholar.
The work of translation was carried out by savants in the seventeenth century.
2. a person with extraordinary intellectual skill in a limited area or areas despite cognitive disability in other areas.
She is a musical savant and can play any piece perfectly on the piano after hearing it just once.
sihn tI lə
a tiny amount; trace.
There was not a scintilla of truth in the rumor.
1. sounding deeply or loudly.
The cello’s plangent notes introduce a sense of foreboding.
2. having a sad or mournful sound; plaintive.
In the fall, we hear the plangent cries of geese flying south in formation.