Category: Word of the Day
1. in certain card games, a suit or a card of a suit that outranks other suits during a particular hand.
In the card game “Spades,” spades are always trumps.
2. some resource that can be held in reserve to use at a moment of need.
If the firm tried to fire him, he would bring out his trump and reveal that the firm’s best clients would leave with him.
1. in certain card games, to win (cards) by using a trump.
She trumped my king with her three of spades.
2. to surpass or outdo.
He trumped every strategy of mine with a better one.
sIng krə tih zəm
an attempted combination or reconciliation of opposing principles, beliefs, or practices, esp. in religion or philosophy.
pa li glat
1. using or knowing several languages; multilingual.
2. composed of several languages.
1. one who uses or knows several languages.
2. a confusion or mixture of languages.
3. a book containing text repeated in several languages, such as certain versions of the Bible.
ae nə mi
1. a breakdown or lack of values, norms, or structure in a society.
2. the alienated feeling of an individual or class resulting from such a breakdown.
3. a personal feeling of not being part of, or responsible to, society.
uhr gə na mihks
(used with a sing. verb) the study of how to adapt machines or work space to human needs, particularly by minimizing physical discomfort and maximizing efficiency.
the ergonomics of an automobile interior
the ergonomics of computer work stations
designed to minimize discomfort and maximize efficiency.
The office manager ordered ergonomic desk chairs for everyone.