Category: Word of the Day
1. alcoholic drink, usu. whiskey, that is made, conveyed, or sold illegally.
2. an illegally made copy of a musical recording or an illegal recording of a musical performance.
to smuggle or otherwise participate in the unauthorized or illegal sale of.
to deal illegally in the making, conveyance, or sale of something.
made, conveyed, or sold illegally.
və raI ə təl
1. of, pertaining to, or designating a variety.
There are varietal differences in tomatoes that make some more suitable for cooking.
2. constituting a variety, esp. a variety of wine made from grapes bearing the same name.
Chardonnay and Merlot are varietal wines made from, respectively, Chardonnay grapes and Merlot grapes.
a wine made from and named after a particular kind of grape.
1. lively, spirited, or energetic.
The sprightly young girl flitted about the garden chasing butterflies.
The fiddler played a sprightly tune that had us all tapping our feet.
2. pleasingly sharp in taste; tangy; piquant.
This variety of grape produces wine with a sprightly note.
For a sprightly salsa, use this combination of seasonings.
1. a pointed stake, post, or peg fixed into the ground, usu. used to make a fence or hold something in place.
2. a person or group of people posted in front of a business or building to protest policies, and to discourage customers or prevent workers from entering, esp. during a strike.
1. to protest against as a picket, esp. during a strike.
Workers picketed the factory, demanding higher wages.
2. to surround or enclose with a fence made of pickets.
to protest as a picket.
Employees picketed near the factory’s main entrance.
o rə fihs
an opening, such as a vent, mouth, or hole, through which something can pass.
The nostrils are two orifices through which viruses commonly enter the body.