Category: Word of the Day
ae pə ji
1. the point in the orbit of the moon or of a man-made satellite that is farthest from the earth. (Cf. perigee.)
When the moon is at apogee, its gravitational pull is at its weakest.
2.the highest or farthest point.
At their apogee, the band was selling over a million records per year.
ə sen shən
1. the act or process of rising; ascent.
2. (cap.) in Christian theology, the bodily ascent of Jesus Christ to heaven, after his death.
3. (cap.) the festival commemorating this event, held on the fortieth day after Easter; Ascension Day.
1. directed to one side, as a motion or glance.
Annoyed, he cast a sidelong glance at her, hoping she would let him speak.
As they walked together, she stole sidelong glances at his handsome profile.
2. indirect or veiled.
He gave a few sidelong hints about his intentions, but never said outright what he had decided to do.
aen ti hi ro
a central character in a story, novel, or play who lacks traditional heroic qualities, such as high purpose or moral strength.
The most celebrated television series in the last fifteen years have featured anti-heroes, such as Tony Soprano, Walter White, and Don Draper.
pro tae gə nihst
the leading character in a literary work.
At this point in the play, the protagonist realizes what he must do to overcome his foe.
The word protagonist contains the following parts:
Greek root that means struggle, contest
proto, prot Greek root that means first, original, primitive