Category: Word of the Day
to look or stare with sullenness, anger, or animosity; scowl.
She refused to respond to the vice-principal’s accusation and only glowered at him.
sker rih faI
1. to make shallow cuts in (the skin).
2. to loosen, break up, or stir (topsoil).
3. to attack and hurt with sharp criticism; censure.
4. to make slits or grooves in the hard covers of (seeds) in order to hasten germination.
1. briefly but clearly stated; concise.
His letter of resignation was succinct and offered little rationale or apology.
After a succinct summary of the novel’s plot, the speaker began to analyze one pivotal scene at length.
2. characteristically clear and concise.
We chose the most succinct writer among us to write up the minutes for our meetings.
a small rounded rise of land; mound.
We had our picnic on the knoll.
feeling deep guilt for one’s wrongdoing or shortcoming and desiring to make amends for it; remorseful; repentant.
He was contrite when he returned, and he begged for her forgiveness.