Category: Word of the Day
ihks po n@nt [or] eks po n@nt
1. one that expounds or interprets.
The British physicist Stephen Hawking is an exponent of cosmological theories.
2. one that represents or advocates.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton was an exponent of women’s rights in the U.S.
rawng he dihd
1. perversely and obstinately adhering to a wrong opinion or course of action.
It was wrongheaded of him to refuse to put on sunscreen, especially considering the cancer scare he experienced last year.
2. contrary to sound judgment.
Her leaving school is a wrongheaded decision that she will surely regret.
pen y@ ri
severe poverty; pennilessness.
Her paintings now sell for millions, but, during her lifetime, the artist had lived in penury.
1. weak or incompetent; ineffective.
His feckless efforts at appeasing her only served to anger her more.
2. worthless or irresponsible.
That silly girl has gotten herself involved with some feckless youth.
(informal) to confuse or puzzle.
She was flummoxed by his angry reaction to her act of kindness.