Category: Word of the Day
In fə del
one who does not believe in or accept a religious faith, esp. that of Christianity or Islam. They set off to conquer and convert the infidels.
unbelieving, esp. unaccepting of the Christian or Muslim faith. infidel nations.
pa ste rih ti
1. all generations to come.
Their subhuman living conditions would have remained unknown had not one photographer recorded them for posterity.
The monument was to last for posterity.
2. all of one person’s descendants.
“It was all over; that old maid and that aged Cardinal could leave no posterity. They remained face to face like two withered oaks, sole remnants of a vanished forest, and their fall would soon leave the plain quite clear.” (Émile Zola, The Three Cities Trilogy: Rome, Complete)
in law, a relaxation of or exception to real property laws, as to allow a person or agency a right of way through another’s property, or to allow a person or agency to build a structure not normally permitted.
In syə lər
1. of or relating to an island or the formation of an island.
2. physically isolated; standing alone.
an insular structure.
3. closed to new ideas; narrow-minded.
Their insular attitudes kept them from seeing any value in new art forms.
4. characteristic of the inhabitants of an island.
kaz mə pa lih tən
1. of, drawn from, or common to all the world or all the peoples of the world.
Tehran was a cosmopolitan city before the revolution toppled the Shah.
Our university is a cosmopolitan institution.
This cosmopolitan plant species grows in wetlands.
2. not encumbered by local prejudices or customs; at ease in most areas and countries.
The cosmopolitan outlook of our new classmate enlivened American History class.
one who is not bound by local prejudices and customs and is at ease in most areas and countries; cosmopolite.